Remember that Folger’s commercial where the parents roll out of bed only when they smell the coffee? As a working mother of 4, that’s basically the scene around here. Only I’m the one usually making the coffee. And no one’s allowed to start nagging before I get to drink it.
Sure, I like Starbucks as much as every other mom, but my wallet does not. Instead, I’ve managed to brew coffee that I think can go head-to-head with the Starbucks cup o’ joe, without spending much money or time. The key is a French Press. And since it’s fall, I’ve been making yummy pumpkin coffee.
1. Every few evenings I grind about 1/2 cup of medium or dark roast Trader Joe’s fair trade beans and store it in a Tupperware. I add the spices below for Pumpkin Spice Coffee. I use a mini Cuisinart for the grinding, and while there are expensive coffee grinding machines out there, my plan here was to save money, remember?
2. Before I go to bed, I scoop 3T of coffee into the French Press.
3. In the morning I pop 10 oz. of water in the microwave until nearly boiling and pour it over the coffee. Stir and wait at least 3 minutes.
4. I add one packet of Stevia to 3 oz. of whole milk and microwave that for 1 minute.
5. I pour the coffee in the cup and cover it with the milk, and then I try to drink it all in peace (before my kids start asking for sips!).
6. If it’s a really rough morning, add the whipped cream.
PUMPKIN SPICE COFFEE
9T freshly ground coffee
1/2t pumpkin spice
pinch of nutmeg
1 cup heavy whipping cream
Use a hand mixer to mix the cream until it forms peaks–usually about 4-5 minutes. (Don’t worry, your kids will love doing it for you.) Add the sugar and vanilla when it’s done. This will stay in the fridge for several days if you don’t gobble it up.