Like the siblings who came before him, Granola Baby will have nothing to do with jarred baby food mush. Try as I might to spoon feed him rice cereal, squash, carrots, pears, apples…you name it, the baby’s lips are sealed. And then, just as I was about to write him off as a bad eater, I tried mashing table food. It worked. And since I’m not a fan of serving a separate kids’ dinner, Granola Baby is now developing quite a sophisticated palette. Here are some of his favorites:
1. Homemade hummous by the spoonful.
2. Squash soup with coconut milk and cashews. Pumpkin soup was a hit too.
3. Guacamole or plain avocado.
4. Bean soup with pesto.
5. Matzah ball soup, of course!
6. Mashed black beans, rice, cheese and sour cream.
7. Sauteed butternut squash with thai pepper (train ’em while young!)
Oh, and the cloth diapers, now that Granola Baby is eating copious amounts of food? Definitely more complicated than before, but all-in-all, no big deal.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH FOR EVERY AGE
1 peeled and roughly chopped butternut squash
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 cloves garlic
T freshly chopped ginger
minced thai pepper
T olive oil
freshly ground pepper
Saute the garlic, thai pepper and ginger in olive oil until lightly browned. Add the squash and saute 3 minutes more. Stir in the coconut milk and simmer with a cover for 10 minutes. Remove the cover and continue to simmer until the liquid evaporates. Saute until desired crispiness.